Date: 26th August 2015 at 8:06am
Written by:

On an ‘eventful’ night in Yorkshire, Norwich City progressed to the third round of the Capital One Cup with a 1-2 win at the New York Stadium.

Just over 1,000 City fans made the trip to see a Canary side with eight changes to that which drew with Stoke. Ricky van Wolfswinkel led the attack and Harry Toffolo made his senior debut for the Club at left back. RvW was the only recognised striker in the squad, which caused much surprise – until news of the ‘Grabban incident’ broke.

Declan Rudd replaced John Ruddy, while there were also starts for Vadis Odjidja Ofoe and Andre Wisdom, who made his first competitive appearance in yellow and green (and black) as City wore their third kit.

Johnny Howson gave City the lead with a sweet strike courtesy of an assist from Odjidja Ofoe and that was the score at half time, after a slow burning first period.

Rotherham came out much the better in the second half and put plenty of pressure on the Norwich goal, it was to be a game that would see Declan Rudd do his best Jack Butland impression.

Rudd made terrific saves from Halford (palmed onto the bar), Newell (fingertips over the bar)and Derbyshire.

While Rudd mounted a one man last line of defence, Harry Toffolo was unlucky when Collin blocked his low shot before RvW doubled the Canaries’ lead from a Wisdom assist in the 68th minute.

Ricky had looked okay (just okay) before this, although he clearly lacks confidence, he had several nice touches but had rarely threatened before City burst forward. Ricky called for the ball as it reached Andre Wisdom on the right wing. Wisdom sent in a delicious low curling cross into the ‘corridor of uncertainty’ where Ricky bundled the ball past Collin and into the Millers’ goal from six yards out.

Cue raptures of delight from the travelling one thousand and an out pouring of emotion from the Wolf’s Twitter fan club.

It was against the run of play though and Rotherham weren’t done yet. Derbyshire lifted his effort over the bar with Rudd beaten before the home side finally got a goal in the 80th minute.

A corner was cleared, but only to the edge of the area where Paul Green struck a volley past Rudd. Despite that though, City held on for a third round game at home against West Brom.

ROTHERHAM UNITED: Collin; Buxton, Collins, Halford (c), Newell; Richardson, Frecklington (Maguire 16), G Ward (Green 76), Ledesma (White 76); Clarke-Harris, Derbyshire. Subs not used: Roos (GK), D Ward, Rawson, Thorpe.

NORWICH CITY: Rudd; Wisdom, R Bennett, Bassong, Toffolo; Odjidja, O’Neil, Dorrans (E Bennett 80), Johnson (c); Howson (Andreu 74); van Wolfswinkel. Subs not used: Ruddy (GK), Whittaker, Martin, Redmond, Thompson.

REFEREE: Mr K Wright

ATTENDANCE: 5,648 (1,029 Norwich fans)


Click for the forum