SAVVY_MONKEY has been profiling the three sides he sees as the biggest threat to City’s automatic promotion hopesNext up, Leeds.
Along with ourselves, Leeds have been the surprise package of the Championship. They are probably the most similar team to us in terms of entertainment, but have been less consistent.
1) Goals – Simon Grayson’s men have them in abundance. No one has scored more goals at home and only Watford have score more away. The goals fly in from many different sources too.
2) Wingers – Max Gradel and Robert Snodgrass are arguably the most talented wide men in the Championship and will always score and create goals. Gradel, in particular has proved his value consistently over the entire season.
3) Momentum – Like the Canaries, Leeds are aiming to go straight from League One to the Premier League and have won many more games than the rest of the Championship in that time. This feel-good factor will give them belief as they enter the home straight.
1) Defence – Their record puts them in the bottom 3 defensively. Only Nelson’s Scunthorpe have shipped more at home. The good sides (e.g. Swansea) can exploit this.
2) Goalkeeper – Kasper Schmeichel is capable of the spectacular but you always feel he’s capable of letting one slip through.
3) Inconsistency – The team has conceded 8 goals to Barnsley in two games, conceded 6 at home to Preston and 4 to Cardiff. Yet they comfortably beat QPR and anyone who has seen them play knows how good they can be. Unlikely to grind out an ugly 1-0 win, this is their undoing.
Jonny Howson. Makes them tick and scores plenty too. A superb player who is good enough to play for the England senior side.
Verdict – 4th/5th Leeds can score against anyone and many of their players are good enough for a higher level. However, they have been too inconsistent and still have to play QPR, Reading, Millwall and Burnley.
Tomorrow, I’ll be looking at the team who I think will push us all the way, Cardiff City.
We want to know what YOU think. Have your say by leaving a comment below, or click here to discuss this article in the forum.